The Gryphon began as the dream of owners Paige and Tom Chadwick, Chef Andrea Gross and Niall McMahon. They saw a need for simple, unpretentious food and drink served with warmth and Vermont hospitality. Before that could happen, they spent over 6 months renovating the space in the Historic Vermont House to its former grandeur. Today, the Gryphon is a favorite with tourists and locals alike. It is the perfect place to relax in one of our comfortable couches, dine by the large windows overlooking Queen City Park or grab a cocktail before a show at the Flynn.
About the Historic Vermont House
The Gryphon is located in the Historic Vermont House. The site began in 1808 as the American House. As railroads began to connect Vermont to the rest of New England and Canada, the American House grew from a simple stage house with a tavern to the largest and finest hotel in town. Guests included Presidents Monroe, Van Buren, and Pierce, Henry Clay, Andrew Johnson and Generals Winfield Scott and John Wool. After a fire destroyed the American House, New York architect George M. Bartlett was hired to design a grand new edifice. On June 22, 1911, Hotel Vermont opened. It was a seven story, 200 room hotel done in the Colonial Revival Style. The main attractions were the 400 seat dining room on the first floor and the “Roof Garden”, a glass-enclosed solarium in the center of the roof. The hotel bar became a focal point of social life in Burlington. Today, the building is a mix of commercial and residential units. The Gryphon seeks to bring back a little of the old grandeur and history of this historic space.